certainly be worth trying, specially for beginners.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.
 On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 03:34:01PM +0000, Harold wrote:
Great thanks for the info. is there any advantages ti installing Vinux over ubuntu
Sent from my Torch

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Ward <thomasward1978 gmail com>
Sender: orca-list-bounces gnome orgDate: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 01:54:44
To: Orca List<orca-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Hi everyone, new to Orca and Ubuntu

Hi Harold,

No. Vinux is fine. Its a modified version of Ubuntu with a lot of the
accessibility stuff enabled by default. So if you want to learn Linux
using that its the most accessible option for a blind user although
Ubuntu is pretty accessible once you configure it properly.

As far as Ubuntu 11.10 vs Ubuntu 12.04 from what I've noticed so far
Ubuntu 12.04 is by far the better choice. However, I recommend waiting
about a week for the final release to come out which will be stable and
you won't constantly have to update as bug fixes and last minute changes
are applied to 12.04 beta. So if you can hold off a week or so I'd
recommend going with Ubuntu 12.04 and Orca 3.4.1 latest to begin
learning Linux.

As for changing desktops that's fairly easy to do. When Ubuntu 12.04
boots up LightDM will prompt you for your user name and password. If you
activate Orca, you can tab over to the sessions button and arrow to the
desktop you want to use. By default there are two items in the list. The
first item is simply called Ubuntu, this is Unity 3D, and the second is
Ubuntu 2D, which is Unity 2D. Arrow to Ubuntu 2D, press enter and then
should automatically load Unity 2D by default now.

Later on if you install additional desktops there will be other options
in your sessions Menu as follows. XUbuntu is the Xfce desktop, KUbuntu
is the KDE desktop,  Gnome Classic is the Gnome desktop, etc. Gnome
Classic is very accessible but KDE and Xfce are still works in progress.

Cheers!