Re: [orca-list] thunderbird totally inaccessable with orca

krishnakant Mane <krmane gmail com> wrote:
My mailbox is indeed big.
Rather its huge.  it contains 65000 mails in the inbox.
But previously it used to load very fast with older versions of tb.
Basically now I am using the same environment as you do.
I am now thinking to find out a way to backup the emails and only have
emails from just one last year.

My solution is as follows:

1. All of my incoming mail is processed automatically by Procmail to deliver
it to various folders, to eliminate duplicate messages and identify spam.

2. When the folders grow large, I archive them in a tar file in case I need to
consult them later, and delete the originals.

I'm using maildir folders.

For a number of reasons, I don't use Thunderbird. It can't, for example, read
locally delivered mail - instead, it requires a POP or IMAP connection to a
server. In my case, my desktop machine is the mail server. It is also possible
to use Fetchmail to handle the retrieval of messages from an IMAP server, or
indeed from several simultaneously.

Mutt is very accessible and works well, as are the Emacs mail clients. I've
heard positive comments about Claws-Mail but not about its accessibility with
Orca.

Alpine is another popular option, but I don't know what its future holds now
that the University of Washington is no longer contributing to its
development.