Re: [orca-list] The Orca Wiki, building Orca in Arch Linux, and a Question about Open Solaris

Hey Storm.

You know, that subject line seems longer than it is lol.

I see that my plan to infect everyone with my extreme wordiness is going
according to plan. Excellent. <huge grin>

So, I went to the Orca wiki to find out what all is needed to build
Orca on Arch Linux because I want to build the Desktop version. There
are no instructions there for Arch though. So, if one of our more
advanced Arch users feels like sending me instructions I would be glad
to edit the wiki.

This would be extremely cool to see occur.

Also, isn't Open Solaris a Casualty of Oracle?

Well... They now have Solaris. Excuse me, Oracle Solaris. And given its
closed nature, I see no reason for us to document what one should do to
build and configure Orca in that environment -- nor do I have a box on
which to test that and document it if I did feel so compelled. Oracle
can sort out and host those instructions if they so desire on an
official Oracle site.

But the open fork is, as you stated, Open Indiana. And I do have an Open
Indiana box -- my home server. It would be good for us to have
up-to-date instructions for building Orca in Open Indiana. So, I'll add
doing that to my list, along with relearning their package management
tools so that we can provide that community with more up-to-date
packages should they be needed.

Thanks for the reminder, and for your help in getting our wiki cleaned
up and current!

Take care.
--joanie