From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2011 5:40 PM
To: orca-list
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Possibly Forking Gnome 2

Hi Alex,

That's my concern as well. While I could in theory contact whoever is in
charge of Mate I just don't know how receptive they'd be to maintaining
accessibility long term. Especially, the kind of commitment and long term
development I have in mind in terms of getting 100% access to all apps,
features, and adding other assistive technologies to the desktop like voice
recognition for those with motor impairments. In my experience most sighted
developers just don't understand what we need in terms of accessibility.
Most are of the opinion they can just patch it and forget it, but true
accessibility doesn't work that way. Accessibility has to be in the design
from the very beginning and it has to be a primary design goal, or it just
doesn't achieve 100% access. Sadly though we have seen all too many times
how mainstream developers handle accessibility. As soon as Oricle took over
Sun they canned Willy Walker who was a primary contributer to Gnome and Orca
accessibility. It was a pretty clear statement to me what their intentions
are in continuing funding and supporting the future of Gnome accessibility.
I think we need is a new project leader who can't be canned, and someone who
knows exactly what accessibility means to blind and other disabled computer
users. That's why I am thinking of appointing myself that position.

I'm totally blind, and have been using assistive technologies for roughly 15
years. I am a skilled C/C++ developer, and have experience with open source
development tools. About the only thing I don't know, which I can learn, is
all the ins and outs of the Gnome source, and haven't explored the
relationship between the assistive APIs and Gnome. So certainly if I do this
I'd have to read quite a few design docs and API documentation before
forking the Gnome desktop, but it certainly could be done. I certainly have
the time and programming experience to do something like this though.

Cheers!