[orca-list] Braille WAS Re: A question for a traceback error message prewenting related

Sorry to hijack the topic, but this is a question I've been wanting to ask for a while now:

How many of you who work with configuration files and terminal commands and other deep down and dirty stuff use braille vs. how many use speech only to read the code?

I'm stuck with speech only for the present and into the future, so I read these more advanced discussions so that I can get a glimmer of what I need to know to advance as a Linux/Orca user... I'm beginning to build up a mental map of how all the layers of accessibility work together and recognize more and more of the underlying bits and pieces. However, hearing Orca read the directory paths and file names alone -- before I could get to read or work with those files -- gives me only that: A glimmer. The same goes for reading similar material for my projects and other things I actually need to do. /smile/ When I really need to, I can work out abbreviations and leters and syntax, but... The time factor there is problematic.

I live in Oregon, which means that when it comes to procuring anything so useful as a braille display, I am on my own. Over the past 6 or 7 years, I have not yet run across a programmer who doesn't use braille, but... If others are using speech only for programming and other such tasks, then maybe I can keep plugging away and learn how to do it, too. This would bring me closer to earning money to buy a braille display! /lol/

Thanks!We will now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

Tami