Re: [orca-list] at-spi2 and orca some problems!

Halim et al,

These seem like caching issues--as discussed on g-a-devel, AT-SPI 2 caches more aggressively than AT-SPI 1 and expects toolkits to send events when an object's properties/states/children change. This means that, if a toolkit sometimes doesn't send these events, then AT-SPI2 will feed outdated information to Orca where AT-SPI 1 would have made a call to the application to fetch the needed information on the fly. I had intended for there to be an API to allow an AT such as Orca to determine what information would be cached per-application, but there were several problems with it. I've just pushed some changes to at-spi2-core that should improve things, and the fixes will be in tomorrow's release.

I think that bugs should be filed against applications/toolkits that do not send events when an accessible's name/state/hierarchy changes. However, it makes sense to allow an Orca script to work around these kinds of issues by disabling certain types of caching.

If I put the following block in the Thunderbird script's __init__ function, then I don't see the problem with the "inbox" label not being refreshed:

        try:
            app.setCacheMask(pyatspi.cache.ALL ^ pyatspi.cache.NAME)
        except:
            pass

This tells at-spi to cache everything for the application except for the names of accessibles. STATES, PARENT, CHILDREN, etc. can be substituted for NAME or excluded in addition to it, and NONE will disable all caching (see atspi-constants.h). Note that this requires an up-to-date check-out of at-spi2-core.

Hth,
-Mike