[orca-list] getting orca to work from soundcard #1 and audio from card #2

Hi.

I use speech dispatcher with pulseaudio in gnome 2.3.2. I have a built in realtek AC’97 audio card and a M-Audio Delta 1010LT. I am trying to get Orca to use the AC’97 audio card which it already does (probably because Ubuntu tagged it as the default sound card). Since that is set up, I am now trying to get any other audio like system sounds and media like mp3 files and movies/video to play out of the Delta 1010LT. I have noticed the following:

  1. In System>preferences>sound, the card is listed as “Internal PCI 1 in/1 out 24bit duplex audio”
  2. When I go to the hardware tab, both cards are listed with profiles that I can use for sound. None of the Delta profiles work.
  3. When I go to the output and input tabs, both cards are listed with checkboxes next to them. When I try to check both of them, the other one gets unchecked and I hear no sound.
  4. When I go to the applications tab, I get a message in the window that says “No audio is currently playing” and the only thing I can control volume and mute for is speech dispatcher.
  5. There seems to be no other way of getting the Delta card to work.

Any ideas on how to get this thing to work? I know Ubuntu people say that OSS is no longer supported and that we need to find some different way of doing this.

I’m totally stuck and it is starting to turn me off to linux/ubuntu.