Re: [orca-list] Very slow performance with orca and at-spi2

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 06:23:21PM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
Hello,
Archlinux has now moved gnome 3 into stable and so I have upgraded
my desktop to gnome 3. However I notice some extremely poor
performance issues when using at-spi2 through dbus. One example is
when opening thunderbird (3.3a2) and also when opening a message in
thunderbird 3.3a2. In fact with the opening of a message, the
performance is so bad, I don't know whether it is locking up or not
as I have never actually got to read the message on my system
(waited for over a minute).

ok, I just downloaded a nightly and tested with that since I'm not
normally a thunderbird user as my mail headers tell you ;)  I'm noticing
some bad performance doing these things, but not nearly as bad as you
describe, I have 750 messages, and thunderbird starts in maybe 30s and
opening a message takes 15s (those numbers are my wild gues not timed at
all).  I don't really know but I suspect this will be improved a bit
when at-spi2 start sending events over direct connections (this is
something I've been meaning to look at doing).

If I set the gconf key to enable at-spi to use corba, the
performance is back to what I am used to.

There are other cases where at-spi2 through dbus seem to lock up,
eg. when opening regional settings in gnome 3, epiphany, etc).

Does anyone else notice these issues?

well, I don't have any of these apps installed, but I think I've noticed
some random locking up.  It smells vaguely like its related to keyboard
events, but I have no reliable way to reproduce this.

Trev

Michael Whapples