Re: [orca-list] Orca stopps speaking in firefox and terminal and probably other things.

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1 303 722 7209 <wacker octothorp org> wrote:

     For some time now, probably since 2.30 or so, after a short
time running Orca, when I go into, for example, Firefox or
Gnome-Terminal, Orca no longer speaks. When I close the window, I
can move between the objects on the desktop and I hear them spoken
perfectly. When Orca is in this mode, I can't bring up the
orca-preferences screen. I just stay on the desktop.  Restarting
Orca fixes this for a little while.  Can anyone tell me how I should
go about debugging this?

Collecting debug logs would be a good start, by editing your configuration
file according to the instructions on the Orca wiki. If it's a very recent
version of Orca (not a released version from a distribution package) then
those instructions are out of date as a result of the new configuration file
format.

Take a copy of the log file shortly after the problem occurs and look for
anything suspect near the end of the file, at the point where the issue
started to manifest itself.

I'd probably just submit a bug report at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ with the
entire log file as an attachment.

As an aside, I have found in the past that I can submit bug reports using
text-based browsers; this had better remain possible, since otherwise, people
who encounter sufficiently serious problems with Orca that they can't use
Firefox or WebKit won't be able to submit bug reports.