Re: [orca-list] Orca dev resource

Hello,
I think the more general accessibility questions have been answered. I will try and answer the bit on cross platform GUI toolkits.

While WX uses GTK+, it uses some custom controls to make it look similar with other platforms, so needs to provide appropriate accessible information about the control, which it fails to provide to ATK/at-spi. This then means that the control is not seen as what it is meant to be by orca.

Here are a few notes I have made on cross platform accessible GUI toolkits, unfortunately I think C++ is poorly served.

Java: there are two options. Java swing which requires a type of java access bridge on Linux (the java atk wrapper) or windows (the java access bridge). On Mac it just works with voiceover out of the box but Apple have deprecated their JVM and putting effort into OpenJDK, not sure what the accessibility will be for that.

The second alternative on Java is SWT (http://www.eclipse.org/swt) which uses native controls (in a similar way to WX but is actually accessible on all platforms), so is accessible with no access bridge technology.

Another alternative might be by using the .NET/mono system. There is a page on the mono project website which discusses GUI options (sorry I don't have the link to hand) but it seemed to say that the winforms system is accessible on windows and accessible on Linux when the access bridge for mono is installed. Unfortunately winforms according to that page is not accessible on Mac, but there is a way to work with objective-C libraries from mono so you can create a native GUI from mono on the Mac. I have no actual experience with mono, I have based all this on the page discussing GUI option on the mono website. Having said that, should accessibility on Linux not be good enough, you could create a native GUI as there is also GTK#, which I think does create perfectly accessible GTK applications (I think I have used at least one of those before).

Another option, which might be usable from C++, is the XUL stuff from mozilla. While mozilla products are usable and accessible on both windows and Linux, I have listed this last as I am most reluctant in suggesting it as generally I get the feeling that there always is a few accessibility bugs in mozilla products and I now cautiously upgrade to newer mozilla products because I dread what problems I will find in the new version (eg. I have just upgraded to thunderbird 3.3a3 but word echo while writing this message has broken, thunderbird 3.3A2 had its issues as backspacing lead to the wrong character being spoken, but 3.1.x had focus issues when new windows opened, etc).

I hope that is useful.

Michael Whapples