Re: [orca-list] Orca dev resource

From: Alex Midence <alex midence gmail com>

I wonder if someone might point me to a document where I might find
something detailing how Orca approaches making an app accessible.

Orca is using the accessibility framework right now used on GNOME. You
can take a look here:

http://projects.gnome.org/accessibility/

And specifically:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/accessibility-devel-guide/nightly/

And more specifically:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/accessibility-devel-guide/nightly/gad-how-it-works.html.en

This is a guide for GNOME 2.X, and there will be some changes planned
for GNOME 3.0, but you can take a general idea here.

I've been curious about this for some time.  I want to understand how
some things can be accessible to it while others cannot.  The whole QT
thing has me baffled, for instance.  If QT exposes all its controls
and such with labels and things as it advertises in their site, how
does that information elude ORca?  Also, WXwidgets is another thing.

GNOME accessibility is based on at-spi. AT tools like Orca "asks"
at-spi about the apps, his current state, and ask for notifications
when something changes.

On GNOME, most of the apps uses ATK to "talk" with at-spi (the
atk-bridge). So, gtk apps uses atk to expose his information to
at-spi. Then Orca can react to that because at-spi uses that.

QT is not doing that (is not implementing ATK) but a different bridge
was created, although AFAIK, his state was always experimental. More
information here:

http://jpwhiting.blogspot.com/2011/03/its-alive.html

No idea about wxwidgets.

I've used a few wxwidgets apps in Windows recently and they worked
pretty well for the most part.  Code::blocks is the latest thing I
used and it was all right except for the rad tool.  Anyway, when I
tried it in Gnome, Orca can't read the dialogs well for some reason
and text entry fields in other things like Geany and even AbiWord
which is gtk+ don't read back what is input.  Where is the break in
communication with Orca and the software?  Is there any way to "show"
Orca how to use other means for getting accessibility information
besides at-spi?

No, Orca uses at-spi.

 I'm sorry for all the questions.  I really wish to
understand.  If there's a page somewhere for me to browse where this
stuff is explained in a few paragraphs, please let me know.  I'm

I hope previous links would be useful to you.

learning c++ right now and would like to be able to write some apps
that I can use cross-platform with a GUI without having to rewrite an
interface each time I want to use it in another platform.  Gtk+ isn't
accessible in Windows and wxwidgets isn't great in Linux, and QT is
spotty in windows but not accessible currently in Gnome.

Yes, this is sad, but AFAIK, right now there is no such a
cross-platform accessibility solution. Anyway, I would be glad to hear
that I'm wrong.

BR

===
API (apinheiro igalia com)