Re: [orca-list] Accessibility status inquiry

From: Alex Midence <alex midence gmail com>

2.  Gnome 3's current a11y outlook:  Is there anything more current
than January on how it's doing?  Will the Gnome shell be accessible
for typical PC usage with Orca?  Are there alternatives to it short of
going to something like Xfce?

Probably this question are more suitable for the gnome-accessibility
lists. Anyway.

Brief summary: GNOME Shell first patches related with accessibility
were included on January. That means that Orca reacts to GNOME Shell,
but not enough to have a full interaction with it. Recently on March I
uploaded some patches that improve it, currently on "review mode".

Anyway, this is not a surprise. For a long time, plans for a "good
enough" a11y support on GNOME Shell were plannied to 3.2.

Soon I will try to make a post similar to the one I did on November:

http://blogs.igalia.com/apinheiro/2010/11/11/gnome-shell-accessibility-status/

Probably just after the release of GNOME 3.0

3.  Unity Desktop and Ubuntu Natty:  Has anyone managed to get it to
work with Orca yet?  I hear there's tons of QT stuff in there.
Perhaps the qt-at-spi project will help in that regard?

Accessibility support for Unity is in this moment "work in
progress". You can see the progress here:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/packageselection-dx-n-unity-a11y

But there are still work to do. You can see that there are still a lot
of bugs related to accessibility on it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bugs?field.tag=a11y

On Natty Ubuntu will have likely some orca support. But it would be
difficult to have a whole support.

About the Qt: No Unity has no Qt stuff in there. Unity-2D has.

BR

===
API (apinheiro igalia com)