Re: [orca-list] changing default desktop?

On 6/23/2011 10:05 AM, Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi Hank,

All the keyboard commands etc for Unity is in the Ubuntu  11.04 User's
Guide. I think if you read the Ubuntu 11 User's Guide Unity will make
a lot more sense to you. It uses different keyboare commands than
Gnome, and things are in different places.

As far as the issue of which desktop is better that is completely
based on personal opinion. All I can say is that visually speaking
I've been told Unity looks better, more graphical, and a lot of
sighted users I know like Unity better than Gnome from a strictly
visual aspect. So if you ask me Ubuntu is playing up to their sighted
customers/user base with their decision to switch to Unity.

> From a blind user perspective Unity is certainly functional and usable
once you know the hot keys and understand how the desktop is laid out
etc.  However, there are  som excdptions like crtain menus don't talk,
but there are work arounds for them.

now, as to your issue with alt+f1 I'm not sure by what you mean it
doesn't talk. What alt+f1 does it takes you to the apps launcher where
you can select buttons you have in your app launcher. This is
different from Gnome where Gnome brings up the panel menu with all the
typical menus etc. Unity has an app launcher panel or bar were quick
launcher buttons are. Alt+f1 takes you to the app launcher not the
panel menu you are use to.

HTH

On 6/23/11, Hank Smith<hanksmith5 gmail com>  wrote:
Hello can I get a list of commands to use orca with unity?
like I said in a earlier I can't get anything to read eg the alt f 1 for
example.
also what makes unity better then gnome?
I am curious, not trying to bash unity or anything.
Hank