Re: [orca-list] Very important info regarding branches

Hey Steve.

What exactly will be the difference between master, going forward, and
the gnome-3-0 branch?

There are no more official gnome 3.0 releases. 3.0.2 was the last one.
Thus unless there is something we discover that is horribly,
earth-shatteringly egregious, there shall be no more commits to the
gnome-3-0 branch. (If there is something discovered which is horribly,
earth-shatteringly egregious, we'll spin our own 3.0.3 release and
announce it so distros and users can pick it up.)

This is one of the reasons we need master to be GNOME 3.x compatible.
It's where the GNOME 3.1.x releases are to be taken.

For further pulls, should we pull from master
instead if we want the latest goodies?

If you want the latest goodies and are in GNOME 3.x environment, yes.
You should pull from master.

If you want the latest goodies and are *not* in a GNOME 3.x environment,
no. Do not pull from master. Things will likely go wrong if you do. And
that will only get worse as we do the conversion to Gtk 3, gobject
introspection, etc., etc. I say "get worse" because more and more there
will be things Orca from master expects to find which are likely not to
be found in non GNOME 3.x environments. This is the reason for the new
orca-xdesktop version. The goal and plan is to put the latest bug fixes
and goodies there too for as long as we can.

 It sounds to me like gnome-3-0
will become a "stable" version; did I get this right?

Yup!

Take care.
--joanie