[orca-list] error with starting Ubuntu

Hi,
The Orca quit talking on Ubuntu and I did a hard reset and now it will not
get past an error window.
I am using Ubuntu 10.10
Someone told me it reads something like error in power management.
This is in a netbook.
It is asking for my password, and I had it set up to not boot to a log-in
screen.
There is no sound at this point either, but I can see the screen disappear
when I type in my password, and then the same error comes back again.
* Is there a repair option in the Grub menu?
This is a dual-boot system, WindowsXP being the other OS.
There seems to be several, 3 or 4 Ubuntu-related selections in Grub, but I
have never chosen one of the other ones.
Thanks.
Glenn