Re: [orca-list] Structural HTML navigation by lists

Hi.

Here is a patch for testing the two widget types (treeview and menu) for
the list feature. It is not the final version!

Regardless of the debate on the shortcut I used Orca+Ctrl+F8 for the
tree view and Orca+Ctrl+F9 for the popup menu. To test the two versions
this should not be a problem.

Based on the overall list, which is used in the patch:

Separators usually have not a name. They would appear in the list always
as unnamed. Currently the patch includes separators. But I don't think
this is usefull. If you use structural navigation you get the context of
separators, too. For the lists this is not possible.

I do not know how important for you it is to distinguish between
headings. The patch currently only lists headings on generally. Should
there are still entries for the different levels, too?

The links are in the current list summarized below links and again
classified separately under visited and unvisited links. The distinction
makes sense in the structural navigation. Does it makes sense in the
list, too?

Same question for the form fields. Which are summarized below form
fields, and again classified separately under the type.

The menu entries for the object types have a mnemonic that corresponds
to the key for the structural navigation. Excepting the form fields
("Tab" can't be a mnemonic) and live regions (the title doesn't includes
"D"). This is next to the two-step shortcut.

Please test the patch and then tell which version is more comfortable
and what you say about the different things..

For the menu, the shortcut Orca+Menu would be close. Could remember
quite simple. Or is that too difficult on a laptop? I mean, the buttons
are always quite different on laptops.

Why I think for (+) and against (-) a tree view:
+ in a tree view, you can search and filter items
+ isers of other screen readers would be familiar with the tree view
- entries in a tree view have not a mnemonic
- Orca currently can't speak the search results

Why I think for (+) and against (-) a menu:
+ entries in menus have mnemonics
+ lesser code required
+ users of the FF addon would be familiar with the menu
- you can not filter or search through menus

Greetings
Marcus