[orca-list] lost audio problem

Hi All,
I have a problem in Ubuntu. 10.01.
 after running gedit, my system became virtually unresponsive, so I
 restarted, and as usualon my system, , update manager came up on restart,
which often
 makes Orca quit talking.
 So I tried the following in the run window (alt + F2):
 sudo killall orca
 Then I ran:
 sudo orca
 and then I was surprised to hear the Orca setup window come up using the
IBM viavoice, which I have
 never gotten to work, and the synth options actually offered me to select
IBM viavoice in the synth choice, so I selected that.
 After the setup options, orca asked me if I wanted to log out to make
changes, I did, and I lost all audio, even after rebooting.
I purchased IBM ViaVoice and tried installing it a long time back and had
never gotten it to work, even after editing the necessary file to remove the
rem from IBMViaVoice.
 With no audo, I have no Orca.
 Does this have anything to do with pulseaudio VS Alsa?
 And how can I get speech back?
Thanks.