From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Steve Holmes
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2010 3:03 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Latest builds of Orca and updating

Bill does a pretty good job in maintaining vinux so I would think he
would do well at having the latest version of Orca available when
10.10 version comes out and I would think that would be coming soon.
No I admit, I'm not a vinux user but I would think that would get you
off to a good base start and then learn about pulling from git and
doing the build steps.

But if that ends up being a far off, then do the following steps to
build Orca from latest development source.
1. Create a directory in your home environment and call it something
like 'git'

2. cd git

3. For the first time, do 'git clone git://git.gnome.org/orca'. This
will create an up-to-date source tree of the Orca source.

4. cd into the top of the orca source tree and type
'./autogen.sh'. Note if you want to override the prefix of /usr/local,
you would need to set the --prefix argument accordingly.

5. If that succeeeds, then do 'make' and then do 'make install'.

The tricky part of this deal is to not conflict with what is already
installed on your system.  You can merely specify --prefix=/usr and
live in the fastlane with the latest fixes.  I have to say, I haven't
run into any truely broken versions of orca from git this way.
Otherwise you can let it go into /usr/local by default but then you
will have to tell gnome which orca to run.

Hope this helps get you started.