Re: [orca-list] Heads up: yaml is out, json is in, the settings dialog will pop up again

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 04:02:31PM +1100, Luke Yelavich wrote:
On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 03:04:54PM EST, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hey all.

Funny thing about being under the umbrella of a bigger group like
GNOME: There are rules. <grin> Yaml is not an officially-blessed
external dependency of GNOME. So yaml had to go. Javi has done the
work to give us a new json backend (thanks Javi!!). And, yes, we
know this one is blessed as members of the GNOME Release Team were
the ones who suggested a json conversion. ;-)

This is somewhat disappointing, as yaml config files could at least be hand edited/written, which was
particularly useful for configuring orca in a particular way when the Ubuntu live CD boots with
accessibility profiles enabled. My understanding is that json creates binary files, which of course are not
hand writable/editable. This is possibly going to be a problem for Ubuntu live CD profile configuration
stuff, unless I can work out a way to manipulate the settings I need to change in the settings file.

Afaik jon is text and a subset of yaml.  Personally I probably would
have added a json settings backend and left the yaml one but whatever.
I think we should think about allowing the user to choose the
configuration system in use atleast at build time and ideally  at start
or during run time.  THe ideal imho would be that we would even allow
settings to be read in with one backend and written out with another so
that people don't have to manually reconfigure things.  I've looked at
some of the involved code on and off but not being a python expert I
don't really understand how hard it would be to do this sort of thing.

Trev

Luke