[orca-list] Gnome panels and size

I am trying to customize the gnome desktop in gnome 3. When I go to panel properties, one of the choices is size. The default is 24 (whatever that means). I saw something about pixels in the window when using flat review. So, The main questions are (a) What measurement does the size spinner use? And (b) How can I tell about how large/small the panels are? If I want one to span the entire width of the screen, or the entire height (maybe half or ¾ of that)? (c) how do I tell how many icons will fit in a particular panel?