Re: [orca-list] my thoughts/decisions about orca

On 06/12/11 03:59, Jason White wrote:

As to Orca and the Gnome accessibility project in general, I think a lack of
developers following the decline of interest from Sun and IBM has truly taken
a toll, despite the admirable efforts of the community to keep pace with
changes in desktop environments and applications while improving Orca
significantly.

I guess there is also a need for good api documentation and some getting starting with developing orca kind of guide. Some thing like "how to write scripts for Orca" would be a good take off point. I remember there was some thing of the sort ages before, but a lot of architectural changes have happened ever since and the reason why there are so many less developers seems to me IMHO is the lack of good developer documentation. I for one would have liked to get up and running quickly, but till date did not find any suitable docs even though I am a professional python programmer coding in the said language for last 4 years. I also have a dedicated team who loves to work on foss but again the docs are the issue.

In the long term, I worry that unless more experienced and capable developers
can be attracted to these projects, they fall into a semi-maintained state in
which there are too many bugs to make them viable for daily and productive
use. At the moment, we're relying on a small number of highly committed, very
accomplished people to do most of the work, which isn't healthy over the long
run.

There can also be funding available, provided some one becomes a consultant and trains some programmers over the internet and have regular online meetings.

I have tryed this out myself.
I would still request any of the accomplished developers to contact me off-line and we can fix up a nice development plan. It is sad here in India that I have a very dedicated team who are sensitive both towards foss and accessibility, but I can't get some guidance from the developers. I know its a busy schedule and most might complain that the work itself is so heavy on us that we can't spend time explaining things from the start.
But think about this, if we do it once, then it might spread.
We need that initial thrust to get some more programmers in.
Orca has good demand here in India, and if I am confident then I can get the government to fund the development.
But for that I need to know a good deal of the source code myself.
So can some one help?
This is a serious and responsible appeal, I have developers and resources as well. What I miss out is the explanation of the architecture and getting started points.
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.