Re: [orca-list] my thoughts/decisions about orca

That'd be great. i myself would like to see websites taht are accessible out of the box, instead of this half accessible stuff we have now. Most websites seem to work with orca ok, Some lag heavily and some just don't work. but oddly enough, some of the websites designed for accessibility have issues with orca, Accessible amazon, for instance. IT works, but laggy and the text fields aren't labeled. You get, text. that's all. text, or, password. Not, email address, text, or password, just, text. On 12/04/2011 07:19 AM, Mallory van Achterberg wrote:
This is heavily off-topic, but needed to spew this out.

I wish there was a way to get these known, regular, daily frustrations
out there to web devs. They have absolutely no idea what the difference
is between real links and fake ones. Or the problems of dressing up
links as buttons and then thinking putting a role of "button" on
the link is a good idea (they don't realise spacebar doesn't activate
it).

The web development community needs this input! Yes, there are bugs in
browsers, there are bugs in AT like Orca, but web developers are often
clueless about users, especially users they can't find, see, or get
feedback from.

We can test for "cross-browser" compliance and we can do analytics to
see which browsers and OSes people have, whether they run Javascript...
but we can't see who's using AT. We don't have RBDs. We don't know any
blind/deaf/limited-in-any-way users. In fact, as web developers we tend
to know nerds with fat cables (good bandwidth) and ginormous screens and
the latest technology, not "normal" people with 1024 screens and Windows
XP and dial-up who use mice to fill in web forms.

Issues stemming not from Orca but from how websites are being built
show up in this mailing list regularly.

I wish there was a way, esp an easy way, to channel these comments
of real user experience to some open area where web devs tend to gather
when looking for information. I wouldn't call it "accessibility" since
that seems to drive the uninterested away...
But everyone cares about users and user experience. They especially care
about conversion. Those terms will get attention.

-Mallory