Re: [orca-list] my thoughts/decisions about orca

Hi,
I use a combination of Gnome and CLI tools. I use Linux full time and have done so sense late 2007. When I first started Orca didn't even have Firefox support. It has came a long way from those days, and I find that it works with all websites I need. It may not be for everyone, but I'm certainly a happy camper lol.
Thanks
Storm
--
Vinux Publicity Coordinator: http://www.vinuxproject.org/
Registered Linux user number 508465: https://linuxcounter.net/user/508465.html

On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 10:02 +1100, Jason White wrote:
Deedra Waters <deedra the-brannons com> wrote:
> I'll say this first, i'll still use orca on my linux machines, however.....
>
> I don't see gnome and orca as a perminant solution for me.
>
> 1. firefox tends to puke on most majorly scripted websites. They say this
> doesn't happen in windows so i dont understand why it happens in linux. You
> can't use flat review in orca to look around the screens in firefox so if
> you need to click on something, you're kind of screwed there unless you get
> lucky.

You can use caret navigation to get there, however. Could you turn the above
comments into specific bug reports?

> 2. thunderbird and orca seem to actually work well together. However.  again
> there seems to be issues with flat review and reading the screen.

Do you really need flat review, given that you have caret navigation? That is,
perhaps your usage patterns need to be adjusted to take account of the
facilities available.

> Oddly enough, these 2 things are things i ideally want working. Especially
> considering websites are harder and harder to use with a browser that's
> notIE or firefox.

There are also WebKit-based browsers, access to which via Orca is coming
along.

> 3. terminal and orca seem to be generally annoying and ready to piss off a
> cli user.

I use the console rather than Gnome-terminal whenever possible, which is
almost always.

> So, my decisions, I'll still use linux boxes for things/services like samba
> or nfs. Do i find it good for heavy use by someone who needs a good browser
> email and openoffice? No i dont.

Linux has been my only desktop system since 1998. During much of that time,
Orca (and hence access to graphical desktop environments) didn't exist.

Orca is helping to ensure that Linux stays on my desktop and in my laptop.

However, my usage patterns are different from yours: I run console-based tools
most of the time. I use LaTeX and Emacs rather than a word processor,
text-based tools for mail, RSS, real-time communication, etc.