Re: [orca-list] Alternatives to Mozilla based software

I guess the short answer about what isn't good about thunderbird would be to say its XUL based, so has all warts which come from XUL.

A bit more detail: In thunderbird 3.1.x the XUL version used gives additional window activated events, which makes orca loose focus if reading messages in a new window (I never got into tabs for email). When I filed a bug report about it, it was seen that it would not be possible to get a fix included in thunderbird 3.1.x. Upgrading to thunderbird 3.3a1 and above has resolved that bug but introduced bugs such as the issue with wrong character being echoed when backspacing and orca being unaware or what text is being inserted into edit fields (eg. the input area for writing a message), so as I type orca does no echo of typed words (I have that echo setting on in orca) and Braille is not updated. Despite having filed a bug relating to the backspace issue and a fix being created for firefox, I am unsure whether that patch has been made to thunderbird and/or which version of thunderbird it will appear in.

I think that is probably more what is my dissatisfaction, the ability of Mozilla to respond to bugs relating to accessibility. It seems like for those of us who follow stable versions (may be trying beta versions and at times alpha builds) bugs are reported too late for Mozilla to get anything done for that stable branch of the product. Also the Mozilla requirement that when filing a bug you should only do it against a build less than two weeks old is very restrictive. I am sorry, if the stable builds have sufficient bugs to make me feel this way, why would I want to use something as my main browser or email client which Mozilla accept may not be anywhere near the quality of stable builds? As an example, in checking the firefox issue I mentioned yesterday, I tried a version of aurora but that has messed up a firefox settings file which now prevents firefox 4 loading, so cutting off my fallback option. Working the other way (IE. if I notice a bug in a release and then try a nightly build), this still leaves us in a position of catch up and we hit the issue I mentioned that normally once a release is made Mozilla don't seem to add accessibility fixes until the next major update.

That is probably enough of me going on, but I hope may be it gives you an idea why I am so sick of Mozilla stuff and want some alternatives. I will say, I do think its a shame as certain ways in which thunderbird works I do like, its just the state of the accessibility which has got me this way.

Michael Whapples