Re: [orca-list] getting the knowledge to find bugs, and fix them in orca?

Justin Mann <w9fyi me com> wrote:
I'm curious, as a relatively technical computer user, but having little
experience with coding etc, how doesone go about getting the necessary
materials to learn the various languages orca was written?

It usually comes from reading books and practicing. There are books dedicated
to each of the relevant programming languages.

More is needed than mastery of the languages, however, which is why there is a
body of research concerned with the design and analysis of computer
algorithms; this is the "science" in "computer science".

Orca is written in Python. Knowledge of C would also be helpful if you want to
work with the underlying ATK and AT-SPI infrastructure.

If you're new to programming, try the following.
http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/index.html

I haven't read it in detail, but it's introductory and should be helpful.

Having a good understanding of Linux is also important, of course. The book
which I recommend these days is here:
http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
(every Linux user who wants to progress beyond the beginner level should read
this, or a similar work with comparable coverage.)

Disclaimer: I haven't studied computer science; what I know has been acquried
from books and experience; my university education and research experience are
in other fields.