Re: [orca-list] When does navigation become available in Firefox

Hey Nolan.

1. When exactly does it happen? If I could tell either the Diaspora
folks or my web server developers something like "Orca does its own
focus management to work around firefox a11y issues, and doesn't make
keyboard navigation commands available until all remote assets are
loaded and event X is received from Firefox," then that may give me
something more tangible to say in the bug reports. Right now, all I can
say is "pages aren't keyboard navigable in many instances until I press
escape if I run Orca," which is a bit less substantial.

Orca ignores focus-related events from within the document frame if the
page claims to still be loading (as indicated by the document frame
having ATK_STATE_BUSY). If memory serves me, that was necessary because
people would start navigating and then suddenly find themselves back at
the top of the page or elsewhere.

2. Given that I've occasionally experienced this issue on
correctly-configured servers, I wonder if there might be another way
around it?

We could always implement a settings.allBetsAreOffGoodLuck option.
<silly grin>

All kidding aside, I'm hesitant to make this super-easy to ignore simply
because we'll get far more complaints from confused users than we will
get thanks from hackers accessing slow servers. But if you feel you
simply must be able to override this option.... Please file a bug.

Thanks.
--joanie