Re: [orca-list] Patch that needs testing

Nolan Darilek <nolan thewordnerd info> wrote:

Which is something I've wondered about. Since branches are so cheap in
Git, instead of storing these patches as b.g.o attachments, why not make
them topic branches? At that point, testing just becomes a "git pull",
then a "git checkout bgo-123456", build, test, iterate as needed... When
fixed, the topic branch can then be merged onto master and deleted.

That's how some projects work, and I think it will become more common over
time as people adjust to using Git (and similar systems) to track changes,
rather than CVS or sVN.

I have read that there are proposals for systems that would integrate Git with
bug tracking, so that one could commit a change and close a bug at the same
time, for example, and use Git to hold the bug database. I haven't been
following developments, thus I don't know how much progress has been made in
this direction.