Re: [orca-list] new info on firefox keyboard shortcuts problem

I also use emacspeak but they are in entirely different worlds on my
system.  I use Orca with default desktop layout except I set the
modifier key to be the numpad insert key.  I know basically nothing
about Xmodmap at this point.

When I run Emacspeak, that is totally under a text console environment
so I have nothing in common between Orca and emacspeak except for
espeak itself.

I will have to probably explore the implications of choosing one
layout over another but I thought that would only affect key
assignments at the time Orca is configured.  I wouldn't think it would
force defaults back on you.  The desktop layout has never done that to
me.

As for the customization file, I'm pretty sure Orca user-settings.py
pulls in the orca-customizations file.  I just checked and it does
just that.  I still have an old orca-customization.py lying around
here where I commented most things out now but there are some imports
at the top; I will paste them in at the end of my comments.

When looking around your settings and customizations files, look for a
line something like this.
orca.settings.orcaModifierKeys = ['KP_Insert']
but change the 'KP_Insert' to whatever the string should be for your
insert key.  Then be sure that any other customizations.py files both
for Orca and for any other applications not contain this string at all
and you shouldn't have any reverting to a default key.  I might be
suspicious of the Xmodmap business but I don't know how that works so
can't say anything more on that part.

----- Begin imports from orca-customizations.py -----
#
import orca.input_event
import orca.keybindings
import orca.orca
import orca.speech
import re
import time
----- End imports from orca-customizations.py -----
I used to do some custom key bindings in here so you may not need some
of these other modules imported.  But now that we have the
customizable orca modifier key in Orca itself, this other part
shouldn't be necessary anymore.