Re: [orca-list] Strange message while running eclipse

Hey JosÃ.

Surely it has nothing to do with orca

If you mean, not an Orca bug, then yes that's *probably* true here. But
the fact that Orca is being used is, I suspect, triggering it.

While running eclipse I found the following message in the terminal
where eclipse was launched.

** (Eclipse:9435): CRITICAL **: impl_getSelectedChild: assertion
`ATK_IS_OBJECT (atk_object)' failed

Does anyone know what this means?

An AtkObject is what we wind up seeing via pyatspi as an accessible
object. Looking at the method name I'm wondering if that is (or is
related to) the Eclipse implementation of atk_selection_ref_selection().
In which case what it would mean is that you were presumably using Orca
in an element which implemented the AtkSelection interface (like a tree
or a list). Orca presumably attempted to figure out what the selected
item is so it could report it to you. And somewhere in Eclipse, an
appropriate assertion to verify that they had an accessible object to
work with failed. Which could mean one of two things:

* Eclipse has a bug somewhere

* Orca is asking Eclipse for something which doesn't make sense

As a general rule, when we see the sort of error you're reporting, it's
not Orca asking for something that doesn't make sense; it's a bug in the
Atk implementation of the app. It would be helpful if you could figure
out what item is triggering the assertion. Like I said, you should
suspect it to be a list or a tree.

Hope this helps.
--joanie