Re: [orca-list] Braille/speech differs: misspelt words being reported

Hey Michael, all.

On this:

When typing (eg. like now in thunderbird) if I misspell a word speech
tells me misspelled but Braille gives no indication.

Right. Visually a misspelled word is underlined by a red, squiggly line,
i.e. a text attribute. If you enable braille underlining for attributes
(not enabled by default), and have misspelled words amongst your enabled
attributes (included by default), then as the squigglies appear (and
"misspelled" is spoken) they should appear underlined in braille. So you
do have an indication.

Of course, other attributes appear underlined as well. So maybe you just
typed a bold word and now need to go back and check what the formatting
is, but we don't yet have formatting markup spec'ed out yet, so it's not
implemented yet, so you'd have to press Orca+F (which, at the moment,
still only speaks the formatting). Etc. Etc. Etc. We definitely still
have work to do.

We could flash 'misspelled' in this case. And I wouldn't object to doing
so if that's what everyone wants. However, even in the current state of
Orca, I'd argue that once you've enabled the underlining of attributes,
you do have sufficient information that the word is misspelled. If that
word were, say bold, there'd be other clues like:

1. It would be underlined from the get-go. With misspelled words, it's
not underlined until you move on to the next word.

2. If you really had no idea that you'd accidentally turned bold on,
presumably the surrounding words would be bold (and thus underlined in
braille) as well.

With all this in mind, should I flash 'misspelled'? It's super easy to
make that change, so no worries there. I just want to be sure it's the
right thing to do.

BTW Michael, thanks for your other reports. I'd not had time to respond
during the week due to the DayJob, but I've noted them all down on my
to-do list and will look at them this weekend.

Take care.
--joanie