Re: [orca-list] getting orca to speak notification events

On Mo, Mai 10 2010, Joshua Lambert wrote:

How can I have notifications spoken in distros other than ubuntu?

Notifications are also red automatically in other distros than Ubuntu,
they also work for me in Debian and Gentoo. Although, Due to a bug in
notification-daemon Orca isn't able to recognize notification-daemon
when it gets active, thus the Orca-Script which reads the notifications
doesn't get loaded.

I've reported this bug at <http://trac.galago-project.org/ticket/174>
(bugfix included) in early 2009, but nothing happened since then and the
distros still deliver the broken notification-daemon.

As far as I know Ubuntu uses a differend notification mechanism, which
might explain why Orca reads notifications only in Ubuntu and not in
other distros.

To fix this, you need to fix and compile Notification-Daemon yourself.

cheers

  Henning