Re: [orca-list] pidgin and empathy voice chat problems with orca.

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 19:09 +0530, hackingKK wrote:
[...]
as a side note, I would be interested to raise a question, if pidgin is
absolutely accessible and also has the audio video chat feature, should
accessibility with empathy be a priority?

It's not so much that's it's a priority. Instead:

1. All users should be able to choose their software (including chat
clients) based on their personal preference; not based upon the limited
options afforded to them by their screen reader. Therefore, a *generic*
chat module was implemented by me for 2.31.1 and then used to quickly
add support for three additional clients (Empathy, Instantbird, Gajim).

2. Empathy happens to be the official chat client of the GNOME desktop;
not Pidgin. Given that the Empathy team took the time to make their
module accessible to us, the RightThing(tm) to do was add support for it
in Orca. That's done now.

Hope this clarifies things. Take care.
--joanie