To: "ashley" <ash cox talktalk net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 8:28 AM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] What distro would people like me to cover in some audio walkthroughs

Hello,
Regarding your comment on installing the latest gnome on ArchLinux, what
quite do you mean, do yu mean using gnome from the gnome-unstable repo,
or do you mean making a git build of gnome? The first option shouldn't
be hard. It depends whether you want the gnome-unstable stuff over gnome
stable by default.

* Option 1, gnome stable by default and unstable packages on demand: add
to the end of your /etc/pacman.conf file the following lines,
[gnome-unstable]
include = /etc/pacman.d/mirror.list

Now run pacman -Sy to update the local database with the new repository.
Now when you want a package specifically from gnome-unstable (eg. orca)
you can run the following command,
pacman -S gnome-unstable/orca

* Option 2, gnome unstable by default, stable on demand or when no gnome
unstable exists: I haven't tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't
work. Instead of putting the two lines for gnome-unstable at the end of
/etc/pacman.conf put them at the beginning and then run pacman -Sy to
update the local database. Now any packages from gnome should come from
gnome-unstable unless you request core, extra or community.

Michael Whapples