[orca-list] What distro would people like me to cover in some audio walkthroughs

Hello,
As my GRML install has become old I think its time for some new audio walkthroughs from me. I have to say after some use of GRML on HD I don't know whether I would advise it for HD installations (NOTE: GRML is an excellent liveCD and I would recommend it for text based LiveCD work eg. system recovery, etc). In fact look at my comments on ArchLinux for an interesting use I may put GRML to.

This means I am now looking at what other distribution to use for the audio walkthroughs. Has anyone any suggestions of which they would like to be done. Below you will find some notes on what I have looked at and views, etc, I would suggest reading that before suggesting a distro to be covered.

I thought I had managed to reach a decision on what distribution I would use for some orca audio walkthroughs but hit a bit of a unexpected problem with installing fedora from the liveCD, the "first boot" application which is certainly inaccessible with no obvious work around (NOTE: the speakup modified fedora won't do, I will be installing it on a system already with windows XP on the disk and the text installer would clear the whole disk).

An alternative I had been considering is OpenSolaris, regardless of my view of oracle there currently is a technical show stopper for me with it as on the computer I intend to use X won't start on the latest development builds (I suspect its the intel graphics issues which were introduced around b130). I believe they intend to fix the issue with intel graphics by the release, however that's getting quite close. If it can be fixed by the release then it is back in the list of choices.

Another one I have given serious consideration is ArchLinux. This takes a very different approach to the others I am considering, although it probably fits better with my personal views, build up the system the way you want rather than rip apart a large default system and fight it to work the way you want. While I like build it up approaches, I am concerned whether it works for a audio walkthrough as the system can have so many possible configurations. My other concern is how well supported ArchLinux is, by this I mean third party software (an example would be skype don't make a package for it, but this skype example doesn't work fully as there are skype packages in the community repository). Actually that skype example probably demonstrates that my concern may not be real, there seems to be enough software in the repositories for most (if not all) general desktop usage.

To install ArchLinux I probably will do an install using the GRML LiveCD, yes its possible, reason why, its a more full system to be working with while installing (eg. nice handy applications like grml-network to configure your network, etc).

Now for the distros I ruled out fairly early on:
* OpenSuse: They seem to go their own way for things with no clear reason (eg. SBL instead of brltty (SBL lacks for me as it doesn't seem to support USB Braille displays whereas brltty has had support for USB for years), gnome's menus (why do they make that odd menu/application to replace the standard gnome ones, it just makes it unfamiliar), etc). * Debian: I am saying this a bit reluctantly, but essentially the problem seems to be stable too old, testing and unstable too unreliable for the step by step nature of an audio walkthrough.
* Ubuntu: Just don't like it, too many reasons really to list.
* Slackware: While installation can be done with speakup, there is no software speech option for install and I don't have the resources to provide an espeakup enabled slackware install CD. Also possible issues with installing gnome as you need a third party gnome distribution but this is minor compared to the install issue. * Gentoo: While a nice idea the compile from source thing gets to you after a time, too slow to install/upgrade packages for little gain in running the system. * Vinux: Don't really believe in the idea of specially developed systems, I am sure that accessibility can be well integrated into mainstream distros (OpenSolaris is an example where it has been done well). I believe the route of educating on accessibility is better in the long term, if distros don't know about the accessibility concerns they may do something which makes your adapting task much harder in the future without even realising the impact of their decision.

OK, enough from me, now for your suggestions.

Michael Whapples