[orca-list] State of Orca's unicode support?

Hi All,
There is a particular roguelike computer game which I'm interested in trying to play, which traditionally used OpenGL but recently created an ncurses version. It doesn't use plain ascii like most other games of the kind do, but instead Unicode. Specifically, it uses Codepage 437, from the old DOS days, smiley faces included. I was wondering what the state of Orca's support for this was? Is it capable of reading the characters by name, or better yet can I define pronounciations for them myself so I might be able to customize the reading a little? The game is meant to be played in a terminal or over ssh, not in its own window. In case anybody's curious, the game in question is Dwarf Fortress, from www.bay12games.com. It's something of a cult classic, and if it were playable would be right up my alley.
Best and thanks,
Zack.