Re: [orca-list] Running Orca in a VNC session

Hi, Peter.  I've heard your name many times now.  I take it you must be one of the original accessibility architects for Gnome, Orca, and at-spi and such.  Anyway, thanks for all your contributions.

I assume you're talking about some work Sina and his friend Mike did.  Sina has been arm-twisted, I mean generously agreed to write a remote support application for Vinux, since he already has experience in this area, as well as in computer security.  I'm very excited about this project.  We're going to try to form a volunteer "Guru" team of individuals who are generous and capable enough to remotely help out blind users when they run into trouble.

Sina's trying to get some of his previous work made available for use, but we can use ssh port forwarding forwarding for a lot of this.  The initial version will only support remote ssh access, but if we can fix various issues, we can do a lot more.  For example, my local Orca keyboard commands with Caps Lock don't get forwarded over VNC properly.  We would also like a voice channel so we can hear the user's computer, and talk to the user, and the user may want to hear speech output at the same time.  I don't think any of this is rocket science, but it will be a lot of work.

Bill