Re: [orca-list] RFP - Guadalinex a11y edition

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Samuel Thibault
<samuel thibault ens-lyon org> wrote:
Bill Cox, le Thu 10 Jun 2010 10:04:53 -0400, a écrit :
I feel pretty strongly that there should be default keybindings in
Gnome
[...]

There are difficulties implementing this.  In particular,
at-spi-registryd needs to be enabled by default.

Couldn't the keybindings implemented as shortcuts in the gnome window manager?

Yes.  We can even set them globally in the
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml file.  However, if
at-spi-registryd isn't already running, then starting Orca wont work -
at least that's my understanding of the situation.  So the challenge
is convincing Ubuntu, Red Hat, and the other major distros to run
at-spi-registryd all the time, so that a blind user could start Orca
any time they like.  However, at-spi-registryd carries significant
overhead, so sighted users generally wont want it running.

Bill