Re: [orca-list] RFP - Guadalinex a11y edition

Hi Mario.

This is exciting news!

(slightly re-ordering your message contents)

We'd love if all the development that will stem from this a11y edition
could be encapsulated somehow so that it could be re-used to derive
a11y editions from other GNU/Linux distributions (Ubuntu,
Debian, ...).

Indeed. In addition, I agree with Samuel: Ideally this is something that
would also go in the standard flavor of all distributions; not just the
a11y flavors. That way any user could walk up to any system and use it.

Would it make sense to coordinate this effort with the work being done
on the New Universal Access Preferences UI? [1] I don't know if what
they're planning on implementing will match the answers to these
questions:

1. How should the environment be at startup in order to be the most
inclusive?
2. How should be enabled/disabled the different options? by
keystrokes? by mouse movements? by voice orders?
3. How should be the user informed of the different options? audio?
audio+text?

But if consensus can be reached, that would give you an upstream home
(i.e. the gnome-control-center) for at least some of the planned work.

4. Anything else you think is important to include

That depends. :-) Will the a11y edition coming out in November ship with
gnome-shell? If so, then gnome-shell theming might be something worth
taking a look at. The current theme happens to work marvelously for me
personally because I'm light-sensitive. It might not be the best choice
for all users, however. I'll let Alejandro PiÃeiro comment further on
this issue as he sees fit.

Thanks for asking, and thanks again for all your support!
--joanie

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/GNOME3#New_Universal_Access_Preferences_UI