[orca-list] Maybe we need a group hug (was Re: Speech-Dispatcher v.s openTTS arguments)

Hi Keith.

Hope you don't mind the silly subject switch. But I did want to separate
out the issues you raise from the issues in the Speech Dispatcher vs
OpenTTS situation.

What is this crap I hear about Orca leaving the Gnome project?

Hopefully it was merely a passing distraction, one resulting from
several people (myself included) who:

* Are passionate about Orca and its continued success
* Are strong-willed, opinionated, and outspoken
* Happen to not fully see eye-to-eye on occasional issues

While I most certainly have not enjoyed the recent discussions, and will
be glad when they're over once and for all, I do think they are
indicative of the vibrant community we have. After all, if we were all
apathetic, we wouldn't invest the time and energy in arguing. If we
thought our differences were irreconcilable, we'd fork and move on. That
we're all still here talking makes me think that we're all in it for the
long haul and that these issues will all be worked out.

Speaking strictly for myself:

Orca would be all but stupid to leave the community it has been
with all these years-and would severely destroy all resources at
development efforts.

I agree 100%.

I wish to hear from the Orca team lead directly on this thread

Did I mention I was the Orca team lead? <smile>

This morning I wrote a rather lengthy and admittedly somewhat cranky
response [1] to the very issues you're raising here now. But the
executive summary is this: Orca is not leaving GNOME. And I am not
leaving Orca. I will continue to devote full-time-job-equivalent hours
each week into maintaining and developing Orca just like I have been for
the past four years.

Unless I am reading the lines of these threads and thinking about them
in the wrong way-someone had better clarify, and rather quickly,
before I personally launch a protect Orca and the Gnome community
outreach war.

Relax. There's no need for war. Other than, perhaps, a war on bugs.
<smile> Given your dedication and enthusiasm, perhaps you can take on
some work triaging and fixing bugs yourself? I'd love to have another
community contributor.

Hopefully this addresses your concerns. If not, please let me know.

Take care.
--joanie

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2010-June/msg00135.html