Re: [orca-list] Orca & GSettings

El 07/06/2010, a las 08:47, Halim Sahin escribió:

Hi,
On Fr, Jun 04, 2010 at 02:50:02 +0200, Javier Hernández wrote:
  At the moment, my work consists on change Orca's own config to
  something more in line with the gnome desktop way, like gconf or
  gsettings.

Changing or adding more gnome dependency to orca would be realy bad
because orca should be a generic screenreader for better atspi-dbus
change and kde integration.
It's a great thing that in gnome 3 many gnomedeps will go away like
bonob/gnomespeech etc.

I am strictly against adding a new gnome specific dependency to orca!

There are other places in orca which need some improovment like
braillerepresentation, Performance optimization in firefox, the long
stadnding bug in large treeviews etc.

Sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand the problem.

with regards
Halim

Hi Halim,

        From my point of view, what it is left in your reasoning is that migrate to something more formal
like the current situation about settings management is profitable for the spread of Orca in any
Freedesktop-like environment.

        Even if somebody wants to migrate Orca to KDE (i.e.) he will faced the same problem that Javier is
trying to resolve. Put order in setting management in Orca.

        And, in short run, we need to support Gsettings for the inclusion in GNOME 3.0 (I think that anybody
wants to lost Orca's support in GNOME). After that, maybe freedesktop release a solution to support GSettings
with dconf over d-bus or another standard (freedesktop compliant) settings systems will released.

        As Luke Yelavich said, now is time for gnome after Orca should move to other freedesktop environments.

        I expect that I give some light about this topic.

Cheers,
--
Alejandro Leiva
Área de Proyectos