Re: [orca-list] Perhaps a different "call to arms" is in order (was Re: Firefox 4.0 and Tabbing to Links)

Hi Chris.

I thought I included orca specifically as an area that needed
volunteers.

You did. The thing is, as has been said many (many, many) times before,
one of the biggest problems Orca faces is bugs in other modules. Take a
look at the bugs marked as "blocked" in GNOME's bugzilla, for instance.

If you want to help (and it is very clear to me that you do. Thanks!!!),
please get other people to fix their <insert swear word here> bugs. I
need that way more than I need someone to, for instance, run regression
tests.

And if you want to push on something beyond that, I'd love to see more
standardization across application- and toolkit-implementations of Atk.

See, the reality is, much of Orca development involves:

1. Filing bugs against other components
2. Hacking around bugs against other components
3. Writing and augmenting application and toolkit script to deal with
   differences in Atk implementations of other components
4. Begging developers of other components to fix their own bugs.
5. Regularly explaining to people that we do 1, 2, 3 and 4.

And, with whatever time is left:

6. Implement new features and bug fixes in Orca.

The less the Orca team has to do in the areas of 1 through 5, the more
time the Orca team can spend working on 6.

If not, my "call to arms" message was incomplete in that I
had hoped to hear from people who I would send along to you for
prioritization and assignment given the factor that we want the vols to
have fun and work on things they too find important.

Yeah, that would be nice. I remember the days when being a volunteer was
fun and I got to work on the things I found important. <sardonic smile>

--joanie