Re: [orca-list] Plans for Speech Dispatcher

Michael Pozhidaev napsal(a):
and inside the providers themselves (between client and server, between
server and modules, hopefully once also between modules and TTS

All internal communications can easily be a private concern of each
provider. It's not so important.

If the communication with output modules was standardized as well, the TTS engine
drivers would be interchangeable, which would be worth some effort, IMHO.

Steps have partly already been taken towards this API under the name
of TTS API: http://www.freebsoft.org/tts-api . Developers from
various sides have participated, both Gnome and KDE, and Brailcom
has put in our knowledge and experiences and known limitations
from the current SSIP protocol.

Yes, of course, it's very useful knowledge. However it's just
spd-specific material whereas problem is wider. We have speech synthesis
markup languages, ssml and jsml and they must be considered too
(compatibility with these approaches).

Have you read it?  It is not specific to Speech Dispatcher at all.  In fact Speech
Dispatcher would need to be changed quite dramatically to comply.  As Hynek said, it was
a joint effort of several (I'm tempted to say all) FOSS projects involved in the problem
in the time of its writing.

Best regards, Tomas