Re: [orca-list] Trouble setting up speech-dispatcher with orca

Hi,
On So, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:23:56 -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
case Arch decides to go with pulse as a default some day.  In which
case, I will construct a speech-dispatcher-git package supporting
this.  I just haven't made it a huge priority since I have a SB live
multi channel sound card here.

The goal should be not to make pulse as default audio output server!
We have already lost ubuntu in this area.
Pulseaudio breaks console a11y.
Mooving all applications to userland doesn't work in all places and
running pulse as a systemservice
isn't recomended from it's developers.
Console screenreaders need access to several kernel devices which doesn't
work in user mode.
E. g. /dev/ttyx, /dev/console, /dev/input/*, (/dev/snd/* only if pa is
running).
@ALL:
Please work together with your disributors  to make pulse an optional
and not an hard dependency of the desktop!

We will loose texmode consoles if this stuff gets integrated in all
distros.

Regards
Halim