[orca-list] Trouble setting up speech-dispatcher with orca

Hi All,
I'm trying to set up speech-dispatcher 0.67 with orca, in order to
future-proof my Gnome installation.  I'm running into a problem with the
spd-conf program.
There is a line buried somewhere in the python package for
speechd_config which imports an apparently non-existent module named
"paths".  Whenever I run spd-conf I get a traceback immediately without
any questions being asked.
Is this an artifact of the Gentoo package I'm using?  Speech-dispatcher
seems to work fine as a system-wide service, but I was wanting to try
experimenting with pulseaudio and thus needed a single-user setup.
Any advice would be appreciated.  Am I better off asking on freebsoft's
lists directly?
Thanks much,
Zack.