for the mail.  I like thunderbird for dealing with HTML mail and
clicking of links but I can even handle that with mutt if I want to so
there's several ways to go about these things.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 09:11:26AM -0600, John G. Heim wrote:
From: "Jason White" <jason jasonjgw net>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:10 PM

John G. Heim <jheim math wisc edu> wrote:

Really, what I think you're asking is if orca is good enough so that
a blind person can use linux every day in their job. I don't know
about that. I only know that I haven't manage it yet. The hold up
for me is primarily mail. I haven't been able to become efficient
enough in evolution to swtich to linux/orca full time.

Have you tried Mutt or Alpine?

Hmm... Intersting idea. I have used both mutt and alpine in a
terminal window because part of my job is to support those
applications. I didn't think it would be efficient to use a
character based program but I never really gave it a serious try. I
really would like to find some way to read my mail in linux that is
as quick and easy as outlook express. I'm willing to try anything.

As a systems administrator, I probably spend 99% of my time doing
just 4 things, web browsing, editing text, starting/stopping servers
at the command line, and responding to email. For web browsing, I've
pretty much been able to switch from jaws and Internet Explorer to
orca and firefox. That transition was fairly painless. So was the
transition from TextPad to gedit. And of course, a terminal window
in gnome works even better than openssh or putty. But I've really
struggled with mail