Re: [orca-list] Using Linux for everyday computing tasks and employment

On Friday 15 January 2010 10:20 PM, Mallory van Achterberg wrote:
I use Linux for work, but I would be able to do my work with a Windows
machine (and I need to have a Windows machine for browser testing
anyway).  I think the impression that Linux is a hobby OS comes from the
initial lack of user-friendliness (UNIX is not known for point-and-click
soccer-mom ease) that a GUI brings to the non-CS-major masses.  It's
true that Windows was what made a personal computer more on par with a
toaster or a washing machine as far as it being a home appliance that
the family uses without necessarily needing to know how it works (we
don't have to be mechanics to drive the car either).  With the types of
mouse-friendly distros that have been coming out in the last few years,
especially Ubuntu, Linux has been made more accessible to the non-geeks
(like me) and generally on-par with Windows as far as soccer-mom
usability (but with the power of UNIX close at hand when you need it).
Given the power of unix and eas of use for non-techees is some thing which has made it the best choice.
Click and setup wifi, access pen drives on the desktop, make richly formatted presentations or reports/ spreadsheets and surffing the net or writing emails. This is all so easy for absolute beginners who come to linux as their first introduction to computers. The little bit problem if at all is with the people who used windows before. Even for them things like firefox, openoffice and many other graphical softwares are so accessible. And guess what, you are totally virus free, another pain for people who are not technical sound enough to handle emergencies which come often due to things like spyware and virus. The laptop battery naturally lasts longer because processes like anti virus etc need not run. You don't need regular defragmentation for your hard disk, almost all the common softwares used by all of us is installed by default with the distro.
Having listed all this things, what more can you expect?
The only investement is just a little bit of time and the right attitude backed by motivation.

I consider this time spent as an investment worth making, because at the end we must understand the importance of digital technology in our life today. And once we realise it, we can easily realise how important it is to protect our own freedom in this situation.

Orca I cannot comment much on as I'm so used to JAWS and learning
something new is something I do slowly.  I type much slower with orca if
I want to hear the letters, and I haven't played much with its settings.
Orca's competition is probably more NVDA, but ultimately the goal would
be to have the screen reader not be a factor for someone choosing an
OS.

Well, I took about a month to totally migrate to ubuntu distro and i would easily do so in any other distro.

As Krishnakant mentioned, the free both as in beer and speech makes
Linux a huge attraction in developing nations, which also happen to
usually have a higher number of blind and low-vision computer users.

And don't forget the point that jaws is highly restrictive in that we can't work closely with developres of that software like we can do with orca's developers.
So even non-technical end-users have their say in the development process.
I hope people on this list will remember how the discussion about implementing or not implementing a vertual buffer in orca for firefox went on for days and weeks together. It was an example of community participation and whatever decision happened was taken after a heated debait.

Linux is certainly up to the job.  Orca, if it isn't, should be quite
soon, with all the active development going on.  It took Freedom
Scientific years to get where they are, plus they had to reverse
engineer everything (they did not get cooperation from Microsoft).

While many on this list consider people like Richard stolman and followers like me as morons, this is exactly what we want to stress upon. Free software = mutual cooperation and we are sensitised about all the issues. We indeed share ideas and help each other over projects and so what takes x years for a proprietory company takes x - many years les for a free software.

Orca developers are free to talk with other Linux devs.  Development can
only get better.

+1
Our insurance company is actually slowly moving things over to Linux.
The computers used by the ones using the software are on Windows, but
the main servers have been switched to Linux and a colleague who uses
Fedora at home switched to Linux on his work PC and another colleague
added a dual-boot Ubuntu on his Windows machine.  It's spreading.

As I said, it is the attitude and "why should I do this " which needs to be clear first. if it is my machine and if I use a software I need to be in total control of that software and i *must* get the right to tell the developers what I want and also hav the right to share it with others.

From my own experience I can confidently say, there are no such things called financial losses if we wish to do business in free and open source software. May I remand every one that 90% of proprietory softwares are pirated and used. So by all means people want to break free and have control over things like sharing.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.