Re: [orca-list] Using Linux for everyday computing tasks and employment

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 17:42 +0000, James & Nash wrote:
Hi Mallory,

Thank you for your impressions.
Did you see the others from the mailing list?  In case you thought mine
was the only one.
 The biggest problem I have with Linux is that UNIX insists on having directory and filenames that seem to
make no sense except to a computer scientist or to people who have been using it for a long time. Where do
you start? smiley.
To me, the UNIX filesystem setup makes more sense than the Windows one,
esp the way the spaces in Windows file and folder names stop me from
easily going through the filesystem by typing (if I used Windows more
I'd know how to get around that... quotes didn't seem to work). However
one thing that can trip you up is how every distro of Linux (and others
like BSD, etc) has different filestructures and place things in
different places.  Installing (er, setting up) Apache on my laptop threw
me for some loops because Debian Does it Different. Luckily we have
packaging systems : )
The UNIX filesystem is also the same style as used in HTTP (unix, and
mostly Linux, runs the web) and I only see Windows users putting the
backslash in URLs instead of the front slash : )
 However, i have no problem with the command line interface, and I am slowly learning how to use it. As a
totally blind computer user, I was brought up with GUIs and use Mac for my daily needs, but the day may
come when I move ot Linux for everything.
As a sighted user who started out with GUIs, I find that I use the GUI
for when I don't know another way, and use the command line when I need
to do something faster or with permissions.  I've been weaning myself
off gEdit and using VI more lately, knowing if I can do everything in VI
I can be a bazillion times faster and with more cowbell.  Were I to go
totally blind I would likely use the command line for just about
everything, because it's linear and powerful, except maybe web browsing
because I'm used to that. I'd also stop using Evolution as I'm still
feeling that one out and would go straight to something like mutt or one
of the other text-based mail systems.  Actually I may do that anyway.
 But for now, I am happy to explore the possibilities that Linux offers, and if things improve then who
knows. Still, it is both useful and interesting to play around with different platforms and gain more and
more experience.
Plenty of people interested in computers got interested in UNIX. You
will like UNIX better once you have a grasp of it.  I actually got
started back in school with a textbook (!) and a VT100 terminal and went
from there. You can use Linux as a hobby until you've got it, but I
think once you step over, you won't go back.  BTW Macs are running on
Unix nowadays with OSX... if you hunt around you can find the terminal.

Thank you again
Best
James