[orca-list] How often should atk and at-spi be updated?

Hi list,

I have been a member of this list for quite some time, although I have not yet had much opportunity to play
with Linux and Orca. I am very new to all of this, and I have a question.

Having looked at how to upgrade Orca from GIT, it seems very complicated - it probably isn't, but from a
novice's perspective it certainly looks it. So my question is this: How often should Orca and/or the AT-SPI
and ATK be updated and is there anyway to find out what the latest version of each is please? I do not have a
Braille display, so is it safe to upgrade them only using speech?

I am going to install Ubuntu 9.10 with Wubi later on tonight or tomorrow unless members recommend another
distro baring in mind that I only have software speech.
Thank you and sorry for the long question.

Best
TC
James