Re: [orca-list] OpenSolaris (was Re: An Open Letter to Oracle on the Topic Of Accessibility)

Just a few quick comments as I feel we could be straying from topic.

Yes I do know that Sun was a big part of the development of opensolaris, may be its a bit concerning as again we are at the mercy of one organisation. I wonder if others would still try for desktop distributions of solaris should oracle concentrate on servers, eg. I am thinking of belenix they might want to become the desktop solaris system.

I am tempted to try freebsd, it seems to have many good features, the problem is I don't see a really good accessible way to install it (I seem to have a memory that serial console is possible, I don't know what other options exist).

As for some of the issues with binary only modules, etc, I guess this is a matter for the individual, personally I go for functionality first, I actually don't mind commercial software if I feel its worth the price asked (NOTE: in my opinion many commercial applications aren't reasonably priced, particularly in the AT world). With opensource software I guess the price is do what you can to help the community (whatever form this may take, contributing code, writing docs, answering questions on a list/forum, etc).

Michael Whapples