[orca-list] Useful suggestions for all visually impaired future core developers of Orca assistive technology

Dear future core developers of Orca,

    I would like to suggest You atleast according to my opinion, some useful advice which would help You during debugging and even making new functions to Orca.

    Use also other at-spi compatible screen reader than Orca

Many of us would know The SUE and Gnopernicus screen readers? May be, that this advice is not good, but i AM convinced, that if visually impaired user want to debug and compile or develope new functions, which developer would want to see with Orca, other screen readers are reaqlly required.

Gnopernicus is not good solution if using it with Gnomespeech, but if somebody experienced, who is able to modifi complex source code writtewn in C programming language could repair it.

SUE,

SUE is compatible with speech-dispatcher. Eventhough Orca is really much more best and faster than Sue or Gnopernicus, SUE is i think a usable alternative, if Orca is not working or if visually impaired computer user want to debug some part of code, where feetback from other screen reader is required.

Use console screen readers, I AM deeply recommending to use Speakup, advice how to install it with Ubuntu can be find in The WEB pages of DR Anthony Sales.

Use gdm-stop

Use gdm-stop if Gnome will crash. You will save many restarts of The whole operating system. Gdm-stop is included with PCLINUX OSS, with Mandriva One 2010.0 and also with latest development versions of Ubuntu.

If YOu will compile new variant of Orca source code, keep on mind, that Orca is not NVDA. Compilation will be done for all modules for once while typing make command.

Use debug level of Orca in all situations, where You will debug some think, such as: problems while using quick navigation keys in Mozilla Firefox or with Iceweasel.

Use included tools for getting debug information.

Ubuntu distro and also Mandriva One is able to generate very useful protocol, which can programmers help while finding The cause of a bug.

Even errors generated by C programming language are being very often incorporated to The debug logs.

Use various consoles and do not forget on The CTRL+ALT+F1 and other FX commands for activating consoles.

    You can safely kill some processes or stop Gnome by using gdm-stop. This is aspecially useful while Gnome will stop responding.

Remember, that only Debian and Ubuntu are now able to automatically without much efford to install Speakup screen reader. Well, Fedora is also able to use Speakup, but only with External speech synthesizers by The default. In Ubuntu and Debian, YOu can find packages for installing this ammazing screen reader. It can help You, if You accidentally cause so severe error, that some kernel module will inform You about it.

    Professional programmers, please excuse me, if my advices are stupid, but i really think, that this kind of advice can help aspecially visually impaired future programmers of Orca.